Thursday 7 June 2012

Shopaholic Series (Sophie Kinsella)

MEET BECKY BLOOMWOOD, AN IRRESISTIBLE HEROINE WITH A BIG HEART, BIG DREAMS --- AND JUST ONE LITTLE WEAKNESS ...
Becky Bloomwood has what most twenty-five-year-olds only dream of: a flat in London's trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season's must-haves. The only trouble is, she can't actually afford it --- not any of it. Her job writing atSuccessful Saving magazine not only bores her to tears, it doesn't pay much at all. Still, how can she resist that perfect pair of shoes? Or the divine silk blouse in the window of that ultra-trendy boutique? But lately Becky's been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank --- letters with large red sums she can't bear to read --- and they're getting ever harder to ignore. She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Her only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something ...
Finally, a story arises that Becky actually cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life --- and the lives of those around her --- forever.
Due to the fact that it has been some time since I read these books, I have decided to make a post about the series as a whole rather than each individual book, since they're all pretty much of the same standard.
I find this series is awful, but also addicting.  I also find the Nightworld series, The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars awful but addicting. 
I find the series awful because I find much of it very unrealistic. The majority of Becky's friends appear to be millionaires. Hell, if all of my friends were millionaires, I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I sponged off of them!
I also find Becky rather irritating. At first I felt sorry for her, seeing as she was in so much debt. Then she carries on building up her debt, and I can't help but think 'YOU DESERVE THIS!'
The series is addicting because I couldn't help but want to read on to see what ridiculous predicament Becky Bloomwood would get herself into next.
Overall, I would recommend this series, but only as a rest between heavy reading. They are an easy read. I would say that each book could be read in a day or two. It's the kind of books I can imagine reading in the garden or on holiday on a warm summer's day. It's a pity that warm summer days seem to be a rarity these days!


This series gets 3 stars from me.





No comments:

Post a Comment